College Life: Parties and Alcohol

“That party last night was awfully crazy, I wished we taped it. Drink my beer and smoke my weed, but my good friends is all I need. Pass out at 3, wake up at 10, go out to eat then do it again Man I love college,” are the lyrics to a song by Hip Hop artist Asher Roth. Those same lyrics may be in the words of many college students at South Carolina State University.

In today’s society, recent studies prove that partying habits and alcohol abuse are the biggest downfalls of a college student’s success. In fact, based on a study done by Pew Research Center, if you are a college student, one of the biggest decisions that you are going to make is whether or not you are going to get involved in the college party scene.

“When I first came to STATE, I was pulled into the party scene by friends, fliers and invitations on Facebook,” said Freshman Business major Rachel Brown. “It’s really hard to balance my party life and college life,” she added.

What should average college life consist of? Based of Quint Careers, the average college life should be about meeting new people, joining organizations, studying and maybe occasional partying. But when occasional partying becomes a habit, it’s a problem.

While partying during college may seem like fun while it lasts, the unfortunate truth is that it can have a huge effect on your overall success as a college student. You may even notice a decrease in your grades. In fact, if your grades drop too low, you may even be put on academic probation.

“Partying was fun for a while, but soon it had an effect on my grades,” said Sophomore Psychology major, Justin Tims. “I don’t even go anymore; I rather succeed in college than to waste away at Eclipse.”

So should a college student avoid the party life if he or she wants to be successful? Pew Research Center conducted a study of three college students, a non-partier, partier, and an occasional partier. While the partier’s grades steadily dropped, the non-partier’s increased. The occasional partier’s grades basically stayed the same. In other words, there’s nothing wrong with partying, until a student parties too much.

“I don’t believe there is such thing as too much partying,” said Junior History major Shatiqua Allen. “If you are a well rounded student, knowing how to balance life and college, partying once a week, maybe twice, shouldn’t effect college success,” Another student strongly agreed. “I agree, partying has nothing to do with my college success. I always go on Thursday, and recently on Wednesday’s, and I’ve managed to maintain my 2.7 GPA.”